Malvani chicken curry is a must try if you are anywhere in Konkan, India. You simply cant miss the authentic specialty of this place. Even a small local eatery generally called as 'Khanawal' in Marathi, will conquer your taste buds easily.
Malvani Chicken is cooked in the coastal regions of Maharashtra, India. Malvan itself is a name of a village in Konkan from where this recipe originates. Malvani food is generally prepared using coconut and spices and that's the whole beauty of it. Spices make the food hot and flavorful whereas coconut mellows down the spiciness of the curry and brings you a unique flavor. This chicken curry is eaten specially with wade.
Preparation Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 20 mins
You will need:
Chicken - 1 kilogram, cut into pieces.
Onion (Thinly sliced)- 2 Big
Onion (Finely chopped)- 2 Big
Tomato (Finely chopped)- 2 Big
Dry Coconut (Big) - 1/2 (chopped or sliced)
Ginger Garlic Paste - 4 Tablespoons
Oil - 8 Tablespoons
Kashmiri Red Chilly Powder - 6 Teaspoons (Kashmiri chilly powder is mild and gives a nice red color to the food.)
Readymade Chicken Masala - 1 Tablespoon
Goda Masala / Kala Masala - 3 Tablespoon
Kaanda Lasun Masala (Onion Garlic Masala) - 2 Tablespoon
Warm Water - 2 to 3 cups
Salt - To taste
Lemon Wedges - As per your liking
Coriander Leaves (chopped) - To garnish
You may also use ready made Malvani masala instead of Goda masala & Kaanda lasun masala.
1. Wash and marinate the chicken with some salt and 2 tablespoon ginger garlic paste for at least an hour.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a thick bottomed pan on a medium high flame. Once it is hot, add sliced onions and fry till they turn golden brown. Don't burn the onions or else they will taste bitter. Remove fried onions in a plate and keep it aside. Now fry the chopped coconut the same way you fried the onions in 2 tablespoon oil. Remove from heat once it turns brown.
Please note: Do not fry onion and coconut together.
3. Once the fried onion and coconut have cooled, grind them together with some water to make paste. Keep the onion coconut paste aside.
4. Heat 4 tablespoons oil in the same pan that you used for frying onion and coconut. Keep it on a medium high flame. Add chopped onion and fry for 2 minutes or till they turn soft pink. Add 2 tablespoon ginger garlic paste and fry for another 2 minutes. Add tomato + Salt. Mix and cover the pan with a lid for 4 to 5 minutes. Turn your gas knob to low flame.
5. Lift the lid.The tomatoes would have become pulpy now. Add Kashmiri red chilly powder and mix. Now add chicken and mix again. Cover the pan for 8 to 10 minutes.
6. Add the onion coconut paste + Goda masala + Kaanda Lasun masala. Mix mix mix. Add warm water and mix again. Cover it again for 2 minutes.
Tadaaa...your yummy Malvani Chicken is ready! Garnish it with chopped coriander leaves and lemon wedges. Serve hot with Wade, Chapati or Plain Paratha. Enjoy the Malvani delicacy right from your kitchen!
Feed me back with your comments and suggestions. Its always good to hear from you. :)
|A cute little orange plant in the background gifted by a friend|